Sports Performance Hypnosis
Hypnotherapy for sports performance can be effective in: football, golf, athletics, boxing, cycling, darts, game bird retrieval, pistol shooting, rugby, snooker, tennis, ten pin bowling and more.
Hypnosis could allow you to use your subconscious mind to do the sport in a less conscious way and to focus the mind on what you are doing to the complete exclusion of anything else.
The five uses of hypnosis in sport
- It can be used with mental practice to help to strengthen neural patterns and reinforce neuromuscular co-ordination.
- It can be used to help to alter unhelpful emotional states, such as anxiety, and refocus attention onto the task at hand.
- Hypnosis could help the competitor or athlete to get a good night’s sleep before an important event.
- Hypnosis could provide a posthypnotic cue to relax and concentrate for use in a normal state of consciousness when the competition is taking place.
- It could help by getting allowing the sportsperson to use their subconscious mind to do the sport in a less conscious way.
This last point refers to keeping the skill at the level of unconscious competence. This means that anything that can be done without thinking about it, so avoiding, “paralysis by analysis”.
It is well known that performance in many sports is better when it is the subconscious mind that is being used. There is a loss of awareness of self which allows the performance to take place at the subconscious level. Behaviors which have been more than thoroughly practiced should be the responsibility of the subconscious mind so that the competitor doesn’t need to think about what he/she is doing. If the conscious mind gets in the way of this process it can cause “paralysis by analysis”, mentioned before, so that the conscious mind uses energy that would be better left for the subconscious mind to use.
Would you like to find out more?
Ask me a question or book a session.
*The claims and content of this website are based on my experience of working with clients over a 25 year period and the results clients have achieved. Specific results cannot be guaranteed. Results may vary from client to client and therefore guarantees cannot and should not be made by any therapist. The effort and motivation of the client contributes to the effectiveness of the therapy. All therapies and particularly hypnosis require the effort of the client, their willpower and desire to change. All testimonials are authentic and represent the experience of the client and their results. These results cannot be guaranteed and may vary.